Free State Cellars is offering an opportunity to experience the most hands-on part of their winemaking, Community Harvest.
Harvest is split between two days :
White Harvest: Sunday, August 15, 2021, from 7 am -12 pm
Red Harvest: Sunday, August 29, 2021, from 7 am -12 pm
On Sunday, August 15, they will be hosting their Community Harvest from 7 am -12 pm. Event information is listed below along with helpful tips about harvesting at a working farm. They are excited to open up their farm.
The itinerary is as follows:
- 7:00 – 7:45 am – CHECK-IN: Guests will sign in and receive a Harvest shirt (while supplies last) and be welcomed to Free State
- 7:45 am – Harvesting DEMONSTRATION
- 8:00 am – 10:00 am – HARVEST. The Free State Cellars Family will be working alongside visitors. Their role is to assist, guide, and answer any questions.
- 10:00 am – 11:30 am – Complimentary BRUNCH AND ENTERTAINMENT for their harvesters. Food will be catered by Old Orange Cafe Catering Company and live music by Matt Lewis. There will also be a grape stomping photo opportunity during this time.
Their tasting room will be open for sales from 11 am-12 pm.
If you plan to attend, please note the following:
- CHILDREN: They are family-friendly and children are more than welcome to participate but MUST be supervised at all times.
- ATTIRE: Harvesting is hot and involves a lot of movement. Dress casually and comfortably. Please bring appropriate heat protective clothing.
- TOPOGRAPHY: Free State Cellars is a working vineyard. This event entails walking on unlevel grassy areas.
- WILDLIFE: We are a working farm and coexist with the wildlife on Adams Bayou. Wild animals, bees, ants, and various insects are occasionally present in the vineyard. We ask that you stay aware of your surroundings and remove yourself from any hazardous encounter. We do not permit swimming on our property at any time and ask that you stay away from water areas.
- HEAT ADVISORY: The work will be outdoors for several hours. Breaks will be frequent and at guests’ own leisure. Water and Powerade will be provided, and guests are encouraged to bring their own reusable bottles. Be prepared with sunscreen and appropriate protective clothing.
- CLOSURE: Their tasting room will open for only a short window (11 am to 12 pm) for bottles sales during this event. They will be closed the remainder of the day for harvest, cleanup, and fruit processing. They will return to normal operations the following Thursday.
For more information, check out their Facebook page.