The National Weather Service in Lake Charles has issued a hard freeze watch along and north of I-10 for Tuesday night Wednesday morning. A Freeze Watch has been issued south of I-10.
During freezing weather in Southeast Texas, remember the following to protect your home and pets:
- Insulate exterior pipes that run along outer walls to prevent freezing
- Know how to shut off water valves in the event a pipe bursts
- Provide adequate shelter to keep pets warm and ensure they have access to unfrozen water and food
- Never use a generator, grill, camp stove, or charcoal-burning device inside or in any partially enclosed area
- Never use a gas stove/oven for a heating source – this could cause carbon monoxide poisoning
- Keep space heaters AT LEAST three feet from all objects
- Never use an extension cord with a space heater.
- Test smoke alarms and replace batteries before re-installing
- Have a flashlight and blankets in place in the event of power failures